Canada Adopts!

Discuss Adoption
YouTubeYouTubeFacebookTwitter

Welcome to our Discussion Boards.

Talk is cheap, but adoption talk can be expensive, especially when professionals are involved. Here's your chance to ask a question, share a story or just make a comment without spending an arm and a leg. The rules for using the boards are pretty straightforward. You can find them on our disclaimer. Be sure to consult an adoption professional before acting on any of the suggestions.

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  Canada Adopts!   » International Adoption: Overseas   » Adoption in Mexico

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adoption in Mexico
sandyhill
Member # 1773

Rate Member

posted 05-16-2006 07:50 PM     Profile for sandyhill   Email sandyhill     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am looking to adopt a child from Mexico. I currently live in Nova Scotia. Is there anyone here that has gone through this process and can offer some information and or guidance? I would appricate any thoughts or suggestions.
Posts: 3 | From: Windsor, Nova Scotia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicole73
Member # 1285

posted 05-16-2006 08:08 PM     Profile for Nicole73   Email Nicole73     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Only two agencies facilitate adoptions from Mexico:
Chemin du bonheur (Que.)
Sunrise (B.C.)

Has Mexico signed the Hague Convention??
Nicole

Posts: 1967 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
sandyhill
Member # 1773

Rate Member

posted 05-16-2006 08:24 PM     Profile for sandyhill   Email sandyhill     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi Nicole thank you for the infomation.
I have little understanding of the Hague Convention, only that it assits with the adoption of children internationally.

Is Mexico not able to participate in international adoptions without being part of the Hague Convention?

Nicole73
Member # 1285

posted 05-16-2006 09:00 PM     Profile for Nicole73   Email Nicole73     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Canada signed and ratified the Hague Convention a number of years ago, which lays out the guildelines and procedures for international adoptions in order to protect the children from trafficing, birthfamilies and adoptive families.
Canada must deal with countries who have also signed and ratified the Hague (with the exception of the USA who haven't ratified but the gov't still allows adoptions). Adoptions from countries who haven't ratified the convention are only allowed on a emergency case-by-case basis (usually family related adoptions).
55 or so countries have ratified the Hague so far I believe.
Nicole

Nicole73
Member # 1285

posted 05-16-2006 09:06 PM     Profile for Nicole73   Email Nicole73     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From CIC Web site: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/adopt-5.html

Canada became a partner in the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in respect of Intercountry Adoptions in 1993. The Convention was written to help countries co-operate and regulate international adoptions.

The Hague Convention’s main goals are to:

* protect the best interests of adoptive children;
* standardize processes between countries;
* clarify the status of the child; and
* prevent child abuse, such as the trafficking in children.

Before a child can be adopted from one country into another, the convention requires that authorities in both countries agree to proceed with the adoption. In the case of Canadian families wanting to adopt a child from another country, their provincial authorities must agree with authorities in the child’s country of origin.

All provinces and territories have implemented the Hague Convention.

Note: Adoptions arranged privately without the involvement of any central authorities are not allowed if both the adoptive parents’ province or territory of residence and the country where the child resides have implemented the Hague Convention.

sandyhill
Member # 1773

Rate Member

posted 05-16-2006 09:10 PM     Profile for sandyhill   Email sandyhill     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So if I read the chart located on the posted website correctley, Mexico has signed, as has Canada, so an adoption should be able to take place, correct?
Nicole73
Member # 1285

posted 05-16-2006 09:40 PM     Profile for Nicole73   Email Nicole73     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, but only through a licenced agency. You will have to call the agencies in BC and Quebec to see if they facilitate for families outside their provinces and if they are processing adoptions from Mexico currently. Sometimes an agency can be licenced for a country but they aren't processing adoptions for various reasons from policitical disruption, threat of child trafficing...the country may have halted adoptions etc.

Once you call you'll have the information you need to continue with your research.
Good luck!
Nicole

NovaLynn
Member # 1305

posted 05-16-2006 10:02 PM     Profile for NovaLynn   Email NovaLynn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here is another place to possibly start: http://www.familyhelper.net/arc/agy.html#ns . The second one may be what you are looking for. Good luck!

-Lynn

Posts: 4403 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Resses99
Member # 1500

posted 08-23-2006 08:08 PM     Profile for Resses99   Email Resses99     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi.. I talked to someone from choices about adopting from Mexico because I thought it would be easier adopting from Mexico since I am half Mexican and the place you have to go to sign the papers is where my Birth dad lives and have tons of family there. BUT I was told quite clearly it can take YEARS to adopt from Mexico because after there has been intrest in a child they do a through search of ALL of Mexico to find ANY family of that child before it leaves Mexico. I was told it CAN take up to THREE years. Not only that Mexico will only release the children after they three years.
Posts: 289 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
janet
Member # 1926

Member Rated:

posted 08-24-2006 06:55 PM     Profile for janet   Email janet     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello,

I thought that I would mention, in BC at least, you do not have to adopt from a Hague country. There are provisions for this for immigration.

If you are adopting from a Hague country, you receive a Letter of APproval from the BC gov, and immigration will issue you a visa. Or you receive a LONO (letter of no objection) from the BC govn't for countries that have not ratified the Hague in repect to Child adoption.

We adopted from Russia, non-hague adoption, received LONO.

Just have to go through a BC agency.

Regards,
Janet

Posts: 28 | From: BC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
noiszcricket
Member # 1811

Rate Member

posted 08-26-2006 05:42 AM     Profile for noiszcricket   Email noiszcricket     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think that one of the hardest things to accept about adoption, any adoption, is that it takes time. There is nothing fast and you you have no control over the speed of the process. For any foreign adoption, be prepared for at least two years from when you first investigate the process to when you have the child in your home, possibly a year or so longer. As infuriating as these delays are, they are in place for the security of the child and are even helpful to adopting parents as you have much time to prepare and think through your decisions.
We have been working since April and our dossier has not even left the province yet, despite dogged persistence on our part. Adoption teaches patience on every front!

Posts: 31 | From: New Brunswick | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
eve
Member # 1576

posted 02-23-2007 11:41 PM     Profile for eve   Email eve     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sandyhill,

Were you able to get more information about adoption from Mexico? My husbandand and I are interested as well. We are in BC.

Eve

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Canada Adopts!